Permalink

Git-arzan and his jungle version control system

Nothing too exciting today. It snowed some last night, but even though there was only a trace of accumulation the government gave employees the option of telework. I still had my work laptop with me but after working from home on Monday and staying home not feeling well yesterday that I figured I ought to head into the office today.

Something made me remember the git version control software program Tower yesterday and I thought that the extract/transform/load code I’m developing for my quantitative self dashboard ought to be stored in a version control system. What I’ve done so far has pretty much been just a proof-of-concept with me tinkering as I go, but now that I know that what I’m doing actually works I ought to take better care of my code and clean up what I’ve done already. I installed Tower today and discovered that they’re up to version 2 now, and I only had a license for version 1. Luckily I had bought my copy just after June 1 and was able to upgrade to version 2 for free. I’m especially happy because version 2 has a git-flow management system built in, and I had tried to wrap my head around how to incorporate that into my development process and for some reason just couldn’t wrap my head around the process.

When I originally bought Tower I was trying to use it with OS X Server’s built-in git repository, but for various reasons it just felt too cumbersome. I’m not sure but I think I might remember also having some issues with git not working well with Coda? This time I installed git from Homebrew and with the new git-flow functionality I hope it’ll be easier for me to use.

I recently finished reading The Martian and its use of log entries has inspired me to try to write more frequently here. It’s not like every post has to be an essay; just keeping track of what’s happened each day is enough for me. Plus, I kind of have an ulterior motive for writing more often: I’ve been looking into natural language processing and what it involves, and have also in the past looked into how to perform sentiment analysis. While putting together my quantitative self database I realized that since I migrated my old LiveJournal account over here I’ve got 15 years’ worth of writing across over 5400 posts. Looked at migrating tweets from my Twitter account and their metadata as well, and that’d be another 6 years’ worth of writing across 28,000 tweets (minus however many retweets I’ve done as I’m only interested in evaluating my own writing). That ought to be a large enough corpus for tinkering and experimenting.